Sunday, December 9, 2012

3 Lessons for 3 Months


Is it hard to believe our little boo is 3 months old?  Yes and yes--two different kinds of yeses.  

Yes, it's hard to believe he's already gotten so big.  As we were packing up our things to move to the new house, I decided it was as good a time as any to put away Leo's three month clothes.  As I did, I held each one up and marveled at how unbelievably small they were, and how equally unbelievable it was that he used to be that small, and how especially unbelievable it was that he would never be that small again.  The whole thing defies all belief.  I can't imagine how stunned I'll be when he starts talking or playing sports or (god forbid) dating.

But also, yes, it's hard to believe that he's only 3 months old.  Our lives have been so completely transformed by his existence that pre-Leo time feels like a very long time ago.  I remember in the same way I remember law school or even college: fondly but fuzzily, with a pleasing veneer of nostalgia.  

I think this time distortion is caused by the tremendous learning curve of bringing home a baby.  Within a few weeks, I went from carrying our tiny baby like he's made of glass to slinging him over my shoulder mountain-bride style while hopscotching over the toys on our living room floor.  And that's just the beginning. Here are three other things I've learned in the last three months.

1) Sixteen pounds is really heavy.  It doesn't sound like that much, but lifting that little bugger a few dozen times a day is giving me some serious no-foolin' guns.  By the time he's two, I'll be able to arm wrestle Michelle Obama.  

2) Trying to get around with a stroller is a little like having a disability.  Suddenly, I have to plan where I can and can't go based on the layout of the store, whether there's a ramp to get inside, the size of the bathroom, etc.  And, I've had to make some substitutions.  For example, I have a new coffeehouse of choice.  Old coffeehouse:  I'm sorry.  We had some good times, but your tables are too close together.  Put a changing table in your bathroom and we'll talk. 
2a) I have a whole new respect for people with disabilities.

3)  If you'll just sit still and stop worrying about everything else you're supposed to be doing, letting a baby sleep on your chest is one of the finer things in life.

And now, for your viewing pleasure: Leo versus the Camera Cord, feat. Johnny Cash.


No comments:

Post a Comment